Welcome

Welcome, nau mai, haere mai!
Come on in and stay a little while. . . you never know what you might find!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Love. . . Christchurch, one year on.

Photo by Sam Sword, specifically for sharing (from Facebook)
Badge I wore today in recognition of those affected by CHCH earthquakes
"Arohanui CHCH" - my splash of knitted colour amongst the liquefaction grey in Christchurch, June 2011.
I thought I would say it with pictures again, as adequate words to describe today, or the last year, completely fail me. 

It has been a very emotional day right across the country. For my part I wore black and red today (and yesterday as I got the dates mixed up!) and went for some quiet time in the hospital chapel around the 12.51 pm time. Not that I am religious these days, but it just felt like the right place to be, somewhere to have an oasis of peace and quiet and thinking time. That included the 2 minute silence at 12.51 pm and I also lit a candle to remember all those affected by the quakes. A really emotional few minutes, and then I had to scuttle back to work and put the face of professionalism back on again. . . but Christchurch is not forgotten, any day of the year.

As for the 1000 Paper Cranes, I have them safely here, but it seems that King's Language School no longer exists, so I now have the conundrum of what to do with the cranes. Should I just send them all to a pre-school or school down in CHCH, or think about donating them to Japan instead, or some other solution? If you have any ideas, please leave me a comment. . . I know that so many people have put a lot of work into contributing these cranes (myself and family included), and I would love to know your ideas of what to do with them now that King's Language School seems to have disbanded. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment