Welcome

Welcome, nau mai, haere mai!
Come on in and stay a little while. . . you never know what you might find!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Fold. . . 1000 paper cranes update

Cranes folded by work colleagues and me
For the full story, see this blog post. I have been folding these cranes on and off for a few weeks now and above you can see a photo of the paper cranes I have folded, along with some contributed by workmates during lunch breaks. Between us we have folded 44, which might not seem like much, but that's quite a lot of folding! On Wednesday this week when I got to work there were two envelopes waiting for me and they were literally bulging with paper cranes! 28 of them, sent by an exceptionally kind Christchurch resident, "S-L".
Cranes just arrived from "S-L" in CHCH
I have never met this woman, but her kindness in both actions and words is amazing and humbling, particularly given that she lives right in Christchurch, which has been so badly affected by earthquakes since last September. Along with the beautiful little cranes, she sent a note in each envelope that gave me a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat - I was so touched by what she wrote. Here is a little snippet: "The fact you wanted to honour our lost made me want to honour you through giving you what I could. As I have folded, I have put as much blessings, hope, peace and eventually happiness into them, and I hope as you string them together, these blessings flow onto you and your loved ones too."
All the cranes so far. . . 72/1000
We've got a long way to go yet until the 1000 cranes are completed, but with amazing people around like S-L, I am sure we will get there.

If any of you reading this would like to help out, the instructions on how to fold an origami crane are here and you can e-mail me at yarnificationz (at) gmail (dot) com for a postal address. Next school term I am planning to ask my son's class teacher if I can get his class involved in the project too . . . I will offer to go in and show them how to fold the cranes and each child can fold at least two - one for the 1000 Cranes Project and one for themselves. Watch this space :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment